Pediatric surgery can cause both you and your child great anxiety. At the Surgery Center of Fort Collins, we want to make sure that you – and especially your child – are prepared for it. Doctors will give you detailed instructions on how to prepare for your child’s surgery, but here are a few things that you can do that will help ease everyone involved.
Days Before Surgery:
• Schedule a tour of the Surgery Center of Fort Collins to make your child feel comfortable when he/she arrives
• Remain calm and be honest. Children often take cues from their parents when it comes to how to feel about a situation. If you show your worry or fear, your child will become the same. Remain calm and answer any questions your child may have about the procedure truthfully.
• Young children may benefit from reading books about being in a hospital, like Franklin Goes to the Hospital. You can reference these types of stories if your child has questions.
Night Before Surgery
• Let your child help pick something comfortable to wear to the appointment. Let your child wear pajamas if that is what he/she is most comfortable in.
• Pack items that will help put your child at ease. Depending on their age, that might be a favorite blanket, stuffed animal or pacifier. An older child may want to bring their phone to play video games.
• Give your child a bath. This will help him/her to relax. It’s also a good idea because there’s a strong possibility your child may not be able to bathe for a few days after surgery.
Day of Surgery
• Keep your child’s normal morning routine so they feel that their day is like any other
• Allow your child to enjoy some of their favorite activities at the Surgery Center like reading, coloring or playing video games to keep them entertained and distracted.
• Assure your child you will be there during the times you are allowed, and even if you are not in the room, you aren’t too far away.
For more information on pediatric surgery at Surgery Center of Fort Collins visit here. (link to https://surgerycenterftcollins.com/pediatric-surgeries-at-the-surgery-center-of-fort-collins/)