Attention and procedures don’t end once your surgery is over. It is just as important to receive the right care post-surgery.
- After surgery you are taken to the Recovery Room where you will be closely monitored by specially trained registered nurses until you awaken from anesthesia. You will receive supplemental oxygen and your vital signs are checked frequently to monitor your recovery.
- The two most common side effects after surgery are pain and nausea/vomiting. You will be asked to rate the pain on a scale of 1-10. This will allow nurses to administer the appropriate medications in the dosages that will minimize the pain.
- Your time in the Recovery Room will depend on the type of anesthesia you received, type of surgery performed, the length of operating time and your response to anesthesia. Most patients are in the Recovery Room for one hour.
Once you return home it is very important that you follow the directions given to you for home care.
- Although you may think you feel okay, we strongly suggest that you have someone stay with you for the first 24 hours after surgery.
- Do not drive a car, smoke, drink alcoholic beverages, operate machinery, or make important life decisions or sign legal documents for 24 hours after surgery.
- Parents or guardians of children should watch the child continuously and contact the child’s surgeon if any unusual symptoms or problems occur.
- Call your surgeon’s office to schedule a postoperative appointment.
- You may resume taking your usual medications per your doctor’s order.
On the first business day after your surgery one of our nurses will call to see how you are feeling and to address any of your questions or concerns. We want to make sure that your recovery progresses well and that you are totally satisfied with our services. If we do not reach you, we will send a written letter inquiring about your recovery.
We encourage you to complete our online Patient Satisfaction Survey. Surveys are sent to you by a third party provider via the email address given at check-in. We value any feedback that may help us improve our services and be top choice in northern Colorado. If you chose not to share your email address, you have the option to receive a hard copy of the survey, with a stamped, addressed envelope. If you are still in need of a hard copy, please contact us and we will be glad to mail the survey to your